Tuesday, August 04, 2009

My first day at school


When I was young up to the time I married, whenever I started school or faced something hard such as finals, my mother would draw a cartoon, sometimes a similar drawing, sometimes a full strip. They were always relevant to my life and made the tnesion of whatever I was facing bearable. (I continued the practise with my own daughter).

Now I am starting a three-week intensive French course at the University of Geneva, and I suspect if my mother were to do a drawing, she would somehow illustrate that this university is older than my country of birth (probably with a dig that I left).

When they passed out the placement test I remembered one I took at Lowell University long ago and I had to leave it blank. That was when I had a teacher that in three semesters covered ten pages of the book, but we had a complete blow by blow description of his life. This time I did very well.

The program looks like I will be able to make some progress in this life-long battle with the language.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I did this course two years back. You'll have a ball. It's fun being the mature students - average age of my classmate was about 20 - and watching the antics of the young 'uns.

Park des Bastions is a great place to read and people watch.

Have fun.