Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Yuletide

I am so excited...I've a real live Christmas tree in my flat in Argeles for the FIRST TIME EVER. In the 25 years I've owned the place I've never been here for Christmas.

There are many Christmases where there's been artificial trees and when you're in someone else's home they have their own traditions and it is always a joy to share them. I do sneak in one evergreen branch for yuletide, the winter solstice, which is more Christmas for me than Christmas.In fact the season without that one bit of evergreen brought him for outside means the meaning of the season wouldn't exist for me.

I still rejoice in all the other parts of the celebrations, the goodies baked by my housemate, the exchange of gifts, the good food, the feeling of good will.

Not every year do I get the chance to use the ornaments my daughter and I made when she was three. Hers are not painted neatly and that makes them all the more precious. I made sure She had been given the blue wooden clock for her own collection.

I never put lights on. And I definitely do not use the real candles that many Europeans do. At one time I made snow out of Ivory flakes but now I use cotton placed on each branch. Granted I don't like artificial things but real snow in my flat even if it were available . . . well, I don't think so . . . warm and cozy is better indoors. Authenticity can be carried too far.

This year they'll be a series of mini Christmases...my love will be here and we will celebrate before we go to Geneva when there will be another mini Christmas with my housemate's boys. Then she and I are planning a pj holiday with maybe DVDs and whatever calm we can think of . . . and hopefully there'll still be her brownies. A no mess, no fuss day.

We have plans for Boxing Day with our Brit neighbours which will be more traditional and when my daughter comes from Scotland in January we'll celebrate three birthdays together followed by a mini Christmas with her back in Geneva.

I found the tree at one of the local florists, a bit bigger than I wanted, but she offered to deliver it. Because it is a living tree in a pot, I can put it outside adding to the ambiance of my well-flowered street.

Tis the season to be jolly and I am sooooooooooooooooo happy.






No comments: