Monday, August 12, 2019

French conversation




I needed to mail something to my daughter today. The post is a couple of blocks away.

They have an automatic stamp machine where you weigh your letter and select location, type of mail, etc. I've used the machine almost since it's installation X number of years ago.

However, the screen type has been fading. The machine is placed so the sun shines on the screen.

Not daunted, I forged ahead. I did remember where each selection was or so I thought until I contorted my body to read the screen.

Hmmm...

My daughter is NOT in Martinique.

Giving up, I went over to a human.

(I won't do the French here, but this was the conversation with the lovely young woman behind the counter)

Me: I had a terrible problem reading the screen.

Her: You are not alone.

Me: The sun is on the screen.

Her: (nods several times). It is "null"!!!

Me: At least it isn't my age.

Her: Don't worry, it isn't your age.

She put the stamp on the envelope and threw it in the outgoing basket. I left feeling younger, at least as far as screen reading goes. If they don't want to adjust the screen, the could turn the machine so it does not facet the sun. Maybe that would be too simple.



No comments: