Friday, October 18, 2019

Style



There is no right or wrong, but Rick and I have a major difference in style of problem solving.

We were on the 23 bus on our way to the Edinburgh castle. We needed to know where the bus stopped and if we needed to change.

Rick pulled out his phone.

I went up and asked the bus driver.

One of the things I like about traveling is talking to people: eye to eye, face to face, human to human. Sometimes it results in more in depth communication where we share a bit of ourselves. Other times it is just a change of information. Most times it includes a smile, person to person. It makes my day richer.

Rick hadn't found the information by the time I returned to my seat, but it didn't take much longer after my return. I let him take control of our stop because it was the same information that I had gleaned.

However, when we came to the Royal Mile stop, the driver called it out and pointed us the direction where we had to walk. The phone did nothing, although Rick said he could have set it to do that.

Rick said he doesn't necessarily want the human contact. I do. A difference in style. Either way we get where we are going.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I do sometimes love to talk with people in different places and learn about them. But I'm usually too shy to try to do so, and use the phone to find my way. Before Google Maps, I used paper maps. When I'm with my husband, he's the one who naturally asks.