Tuesday, May 11, 2021

TCK Mystery interview Part 3

 

I'm continuing my interview with Annie Young, heroine of the Third Culture Kid mystery series. She's a free lance tech writer, amateur detective and amateur historian.

Me:         Tell me about your experiences at the Paris dig.

Annie:     It started badly. My boyfriend forbid me to go on a dig near the Sorbonne. He was jealous of my ex-lover, Luca, who headed it up. That and the fact Luca is drop-dead handsome didn't help.

Me:         What did you do?

Annie:     I went any way. Roger and I have an off and on relationship and the major problem is he wants me to be a traditional woman. Tisn't me.

Me        There was a murder...

Annie:       Yes, it was a dig volunteer who was an ex-lover of Luca. And there was a second murder.

Me:            Did that stop the dig?

Annie:        It slowed it down, but we'd made some exciting discoveries -- traces of a priest who was studying in Paris. Based on what we found, he may have had a girlfriend. She may have been pregnant. I did some additional research and found he may have gone on to become a pope. I need to do more when I have a chance.

Me:        Why were you digging?

Annie:    They, they being some apartment conglomerate, wanted to put up a building, but the government needed to make sure there were no historical treasures. The only reason I was asked to join was that Luca knew me and thought I'd enjoy it and could add something to the team.

Me:        Do you like Paris?

Annie:     I adore it. I've had several longer-term assignments there and have gotten to know it fairly well. Thus when Luca asked me to join the dig, even if it was non-paid, I jumped at the chance. I stayed with a friend. That's the advantage of doing what I do. I make enough to not work and follow my passion which is historical research?

Me:        Have you ever thought of teaching?

Annie:    (Shaking her head so vigorously that her red curls bounce.) Too confining. It's nice to be able to visit different places, different countries, use my languages. Would you like to hear about my experiences on Insel Poel?

Me:        Tomorrow. I have another appointment in a half hour and I don't want to rush talking with you.




 

    

No comments: