Sunday, December 17, 2023

Lemons, Lemonade, Champagne

 


Looking back, some of the bad things in my life did, in the long-run, turn into to something wonderful.

Probably the biggest lemon in my life was when my husband, whom had been my high school sweetheart and my spouse for seven years, decided he didn't want me any more. Only later did I realize that the man I adored existed in my mind...not his fault.

We lived in a small Massachusetts town, which is many ways was limiting me to an extension of my childhood life. Nothing wrong with it, just there was so much more that was possible in the time I was granted to be on this earth.

As I recovered, a world opened up to me. I lived in Boston, which I loved. There was something special about catching the T going home from work, stopping to see a couple of paintings at the Museum of Fine Arts and still be home for supper.

I moved to Switzerland, became a writer including doing research in various places for my Murder in... series. I worked, among other jobs, as a journalist meeting some world leaders, none of who will remember me.

My friends were from all over, including Europe, Asia and the Middle East. I developed a family of choice from Syria and fell in love with their culture and Damascus. It was a place I never thought I would see, much less have the experience of living there, albeit for short periods.

I did a masters in creative writing in Wales. In Geneva, I found friendships among so many writers that helped me nourish my craft.

I found I could visit a friend in Paris and pretend I was Hemingway as I wrote in her flat while she worked. I could even wake up the morning and take the TGV, have lunch in Paris and be back home in bed the same night.

It wasn't all glamour. The trash still needed to be thrown out, dust accumulates. Colds are international. Appliances breakdown.

I was granted Swiss nationality and because of FATCA renounced my American nationality. I fought FATCA both by going to Congress and through being part of a lawsuit. These actions were a failure, yet fascinating. With the change of nationalities FATCA can no longer hurt me. 

There were disappointments. I learned if I didn't get the job I wanted, another one, usually better would come along.

I could have done without two bouts of cancer, but the medical care and my chemo sessions was an enriching experience shared with the other women and incredible nursing staff. 

I met my soul mate at 71. I had thought I wasn't good at husband or even partner selection and living single had a great deal of merit. He made a good life better.

Most of the lemons in my life were transformed not just into lemonade but champagne. The sour of the lemons made both the lemonade and champagne so much better.



 



1 comment:

Alice Alech said...


So inspiring to read this on Sunday morning as we prepare to say goodbye to 2023. Thank you for sharing Donna Lane.