Sunday, May 15, 2005

Changing Nationalities

I looked at the piece of paper in my hand and cried with relief and happiness. It said the ruling on my Swiss nationality was favourable from the Federal Government in Bern and the Cantonal Government in Geneva. It has only taken just under 15 years from the day I embarked on a new life in the Val de Travers in the Jura Mountains.

When I had my first interview with the authorities last November 20 months after filing my papers, I told the woman who shared my love of animals, that changing nationality is like changing religion. You don’t do it lightly, you really have to believe. With the 12 year waiting period and the amount of paperwork, official translations of documents and a mini essay on why I wanted the nationality it wasn’t easy.

I don’t remember exactly what I said in that essay, but it had something to do with wanting to be a full participant in my new country in repayment for the better lifestyle I was given. With rights go responsibility to the society you live in. For the first time in my adult life I was paid more than enough, had six weeks vacation, felt safe on the streets. I was living in a country with universal health care, albeit I paid for my own coverage, but it was affordable. With my Permis C, earned after five years, I had almost all the rights of a Swiss in buying a home, changing jobs, etc. but I could only leave for a limited amount of time without not being allowed back and most importantly I couldn’t vote. Other than not to create mayhem, I had no responsibilities.

I had been once to watch a session of the Bern government in session. It is set up like the House of Representatives and Senate, but instead of president there is a council of seven with the president rotating every year. It is a multi-party system.

I am not so naïve to think that this is a perfect country. Watching the politicians, certain scandals, things that are down right annoying, I know Switzerland like all countries has problems and is ruled as all countries by flawed human beings. Still it works, better than any other place I have ever lived. I like the fact they vote on issues that in other countries are done by the government. Imagine voting on if the Army should buy planes or not, the retirement age and other social issues. Nor do I always agree with the decision, but I do appreciate it going to a national vote. It is easier to live with a dissenting decision if it comes from a consensus.

I have a couple of more steps to go through, including having to sing the national anthem. I did warn the woman who interviewed me, that this could be awful. My daughter at three asked me not to sing her any more lullabies, because my singing hurt her ears. She laughed and did say that singing well wasn't a requirement. I still wonder if my commune will do an interview or not.
None of this negates my American roots, the one where honesty and doing the right thing was drummed into me. Nor does it rub out the fact that I received an excellent education that is less and less possible in the US, with driving teachers who wanted top performance from me. And there are still people I adore in my natal country. One Swiss man who I talked to said the acceptance of foreigners as new nationals means they bring a different depth to the country, and I hope I can do the same by being myself, a dual-national.

At one point there was discussion about dual nationals having to give up their other nationality if they wanted to remain Swiss, and I wondered what I would do. At this point so much of my life has been lived here, I realised I would keep the Swiss, but it is not a choice I have to make. The Swiss voted down the recommendation.

On a less serious note, I am waiting for the first time I am asked whether I am American or English. It happens often when I speak with my heavily accented French. I am dying to see the person’s face when I reply, “Swiss”.

No comments: