Friday, May 13, 2005

Three Questions

The reading group where I went a while back to discuss my novel was nice enough to give me a gift certificate to Payot, a Swiss book chain. The one on Rue Chantepoulet, is enlarging its English book section. The woman who works there is the former owner of the now defunct Elm Book Store, an English bookstore that gave great support to Anglo-writers in Geneva. Payot is trying to build up its English books section using her expertise.

With the certificate in my hand I went to buy my stash. I suppose I could have supported Elm better, but with the cost of books and the fact I can go through six books in a week, I use the library for the good of my bank account. Also, unlike most writers I don’t keep books except for a few reference books, preferring not to have them take up my limited space.

I came across a book on reducing clutter and it said to look at each object in your house and ask three questions.

1. Does it give you energy when you look at it?
2. Is it beautiful?
3. Is it useful?

If you can’t answer yes to all three they asked another question “Than what are you doing with it?”

I didn’t buy the book, because I had all the information I needed. I have looked at every item I own, and have been able to answer yes to all three questions. However, I did get rid of a beach chair someone left in my place that I never use and an old radio and some clothes I will never wear again. Except for that nothing, absolutely nothing doesn’t merit a resounding three yeses, although sometimes the beautiful and/or useful are said with varying degrees of force. As for the books I bought, they are read and passed onto other readers.

No comments: