Sunday, April 23, 2006

Accents

Okay, when I speak French, there is no doubt as my daughter would say, my accent sucks out loud, but I get through.

Friday night I spent with my Indian friends. The couple was going to a dance recital in Bern and although their teenage daughter is capable of being left alone, they knew they would be more relaxed if an adult were in the house.

I arrived in the late afternoon and was greeted by a gaggle of teenage girls preparing for a party all who go to the International School. I have long been used to the fact that Nandita’s chums can be from any country and over the years I’ve met, Latvian, Indian, Korean, French, etc. little girls. Now they aren’t quite so little.

The next day Nandita said two of the girls were American. “They knew you were from Boston,” she told me. I had said one sentence something about not wanting to disturb them. I wasn’t surprised. If my French accent is terrible, I do a great Bostonian accent and that’s without trying.

No comments: