Friday, April 21, 2006

Where my ancestor walked

A while back looking for my missing brother on the web I came across my father's and step mom’s names to find the complete history of the family going back to their settlement in the early 1600s in Canada http://free.hostdepartment.com/a/aclinks/fam00105.htm

The Boudreaus (Boudrots) arrived on the continent a few years before my mother’s (Stockbridges) in 1636, which is a shame that my mother didn’t know. My mother thought of my father’s family as foreigners and newcomers although they didn’t get down to New England until the Depression and Boudreau was definitely an unWASP name for our New England Yankee community.

Then tonight while staying with the Indian family to be there for Nandita when she herself got home from a party, I started going back though the list until I found the village in France where the Boudreaus migrated from.

Lordy, Lordy, it has a website: http://www.ville-larochelle.fr/ Sometime before the end of the year, I think I’ll go and have a look-see. The writer part of me wonders what Michel Boudrot would have thought when he sailed off for the new world to know that almost 400 years later his descendent would walk down the same streets he walked down, albeit with a bit more traffic

No comments: