Thursday, September 21, 2006

Celebrating Mabon by Accident

The red and green grapes are so juice ladened that the vines are bent. The vendage will start shortly.

As a writer, it is easy to lock myself to my computer, but on a day like today, it would have been to substitute writing about life for life.

Thus I found myself on a walk through the lushness of a late-summer afternoon not going gently into the good fall night.

Everywhere flowers or all the colors of the rainbow were standing tall. Trees and bush leaves were almost hidden by blue, red and white berries. The breeze from the lake whispered across my face.

My memories roamed back to a day like this years three years ago when my daughter and I played hooky from work and job hunting to take a boat across the lake to Yvoire http://yvoire.free.fr/ (please look at the photos).

As I walked back down the hill, the beauty of the lake and mountains almost too much to bear, I remembered that September 21 is the pagan holiday of Mabon or Winter Finding, the second harvest festival and a time of thanksgiving and meditation. Spiritually one sets up new patterns for the future and encourages the sharing of the richness of the earth.

So much of what was natural and beautiful that surrounded me that I knew true peace. I was celebrating a pagan day that I had forgotten, which made the moment all the better.

No comments: