Monday, February 05, 2007

I admit it I am a...

I admit I’m a neat/clean freak slightly less compulsive than Martha Stewart and it is one reason I am a minimalist. Today was my monthly cleaning, the one where I wash under the fridge, behind the toilet, under the sink, etc.

That leaves the rest of the month to do cleaning chores as needed, such as wipe off a spice bottle that is sticky because my fingers were sticky when I picked it up, make sure there are no fingerprints on light switches or appliances etc. Again because the place is small it is easy to keep,

I do mind that the maker of my oven put on a decorative ridge where junk gets stored and it is necessary to go after it with a toothpick, but overall my oven despite two years of use is still new looking as is my food processor after five years of grinding, shredding and cutting.

And I give my dustpan a thorough soaking rather than a rinse. Before you call the white coats, let me say because I never liked dustpans I had an artist paint me a special one-of-a kind at a price that made it too cheap not to use but too expensive to not take care and mostly it gives me a smile when I use it rather than a groan.

Overall, because I have such little space I can do a thorough cleaning in about 1.5 hours including rearranging all my closets and making sure the floors are dust free.

Saying that, I know as I arrange things in perfect order, hang clothes in rainbow order, stack my lingerie in perfect piles, the first time I need anything, I will do a dig that would make archaeologists hire me on the spot – well maybe not because they go slowly. Professional diggers would hire me.

Although my surfaces will always be clean, although everything will be in its place, my closets and drawers become danger zones.

Now I sit getting ready to work in my spotless and well-ordered apartment and feel good and don’t worry about the closets tomorrow.

No comments: