Sunday, February 18, 2007

I am writing again

Several of my friends mumbled about my new www.cunewswire.com interfering with my creative writing and it was true to a certain degree.

I was writing news articles, I was writing my blog, I was writing monthly articles for the English Magazine Writers Forum. I was teaching creative writing and editing novels. But I wasn’t doing my creative work.

In April I had “finished” Triple Deckers, what my agent wants to be my breakthrough novel propelling me from Chick Lit to a more substantial writer. My two published novels Chickpea Lover and The Card although published were still learner novels. Arthur Fiedler who for years conducted the Boston Pops and was adored by Bostonians always felt he had failed because he didn’t conduct a major symphony. As hard as it is to get one novel published never mind two in more than one country I want to write on a deeper level.

The book is about a typical Irish-American Catholic family living in Mission Hill in Boston and how the death of their son/grandson changes their perceptions of their relationships, their loyalties and their country.

I did not disagree with my agent who said TD still wasn’t there. I just didn’t know what to do next, although I can easily diagnose other writers’ weaknesses. I tried the old put-it-in-a- drawer trick hoping the words would rearrange themselves. Each word stubbornly stayed where I put it originally.

Then last Saturday I went to the Geneva Writer’s Group meet the agents session. Another agent looked it over and made suggestions that made sense. The sun came out on a rainy day, the orchestra started playing, I was handed a triple scoops of chocolate chip, chocolate and pistachio ice creams.

I have begun the revisions, changed the emphasis of my prologue, rearranged chapters, eliminated a character, know how to rewrite the grief scene. I still have a lot of work to do but I know where I am going again.

So to my friends who were not letting me not write but were humouring me when I said I was writing in other mediums until the end of some timetable that only they knew, I say thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you came to the 'Meet the Agents' event in Geneva and found it helpful.

Moyette