Monday, July 23, 2007

A View Compensates for A Hassle


Despite the hassle with the train, the view from Lavigny (sadly the lake and mountains are lost in the mist) and the chance to meet five writers from five countries, was worth a mini adventure.

I was meeting friends at the Tuilleries train stop before we went to Château Lavigny to hear the writers-in-residence read. It is a route I never take. The conductor came up and asked for my ticket which I gave him.

“And your abonnement?”

I realised that I had forgotten it expired. The 350 CHF price is well worth it, but I wanted to wait until I was taking the train somewhere to extend the three years it covers making all trips half price. Unfortunately I had pushed the half-price ticket button when I purchased my ticket out of habit and without thinking.

The conductor pointed to the sign saying there was a 45 CHF fine for not having the right ticket as we pulled into my station. He and his fellow conductor politely offered to get off with me to write up the certificate so the people waiting for me wouldn’t wait in vain. My friends were on the platform a light wind ruffling their hair in the late afternoon sun and bemused expressions.
I tried to explain what happened to the conductors, both men in their late thirties as one whipped out his info box, that looks like an etch-a-sketch but is used to enter data. He also had trouble with my accent so I touched his stylo to the letters on the screen spelling out my name and address. I apologised for my accent as I took out my identity card.

“You’re Swiss?” he asked. If incredulity could drip from words, they would have.

“I know, it’s difficult to believe,” I said then launched into an explanation about expiration and simply pushing the wrong button.

They asked to see my old train abonnement.

I pulled out my bus abonnement folder which also contained my expired train abonnement tucked into a side pocket.

The conductor who hadn’t bagged me looked at the bus abonnement. That costs 45 CHF and is good for a month and is good for all buses in Geneva.

“Why didn’t you show us this? It’s good.”

“Because I was on a train, and its for the bus.” I said.

Meanwhile the two people meeting me were watching. I suspect they were surprised because I don’t look like the type of person who would ride black.

The second conductor went to the board with a plan of the train route. Taking the stylo he counted off the number of stops that the abonnement covered for next time.

They deleted the info on the document and I put my 45CHF that I had pulled out to pay for the fine back in my pocket.

No comments: