Saturday, September 15, 2007

I love my dustpan


I love my dustpan. I know that’s silly, but because sweeping is one of those ho hum chores, I decided I wanted a pretty dustpan, something almost impossible to find. Then when I visited my mom in Florida, I read about a woman who painted household items with a technique called double brushing. I contacted her and commissioned a dustpan that she mailed to me a couple of weeks later. No way, do I look forward to floor sweeping. My tiles are so light, that each crumb is visible, so it is a frequent activity, but I smile each time I pick up the dustpan. And of course I always wash the dustpan afterwards (I always have) but who wants to treat a signed work of folksy art with disrespect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just too darling! My old German mother in-law used to say she loved her kitchen. And no chores in it were ever too much, as she lovingly wiped her old stove after using it. And the kitchen repaid.