Thursday, January 31, 2008

No Buy Report

The first month of my no buy year has ended with only two temptations.

1. the pastry cutter (which I would never use)
2. A down filled coat on sale. Although this is my favourite style I have two perfect satisfactory winter coats.

I have found I have eaten out less this month not from any conscious attempt. Each time I don’t eat out on a day I considered I put 1 CHF in the little silver canister.

My housemate adds money for when she doesn’t go for coffee.

We both add money based on bets lost, disagreements about who owes what (this is usually the case when both of us want to pay for something so rather than split it, one pays, the other adds to our fund.)

And what do we do with the money?

When there’s enough we head for Marrionier, our favourite restaurant in the next village and feel we have a free dinner. (We also eat there when the funds do not come from the little canister).

Having not bought one single material thing this month do I feel deprived?Nope, nada. Niet, non.

Has my standard of living gone down? Nope, nada. Niet, non.

Am I unhappy? Nope, nada. Niet, non

But then I never related possessions and happiness. It goes to my three rules of ownership.
1. Is it useful?
2. Is it beautiful?
3. Does it have a memory?

If something can't meet one of those three criteria, why should I clutte up my life with it.

Wish I could apply the rules to the paperwork in my life, but it is impossible to have everything.

2 comments:

Thiago said...

4 años con el blog!!!! puff!!

Bezos.

Melissa said...

Congratulations, DL. Only 11 months to go.
M