Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Great Ticket Safari

We had the tickets for the Celine Dion concert for over a year and had talked about it as a future highlight in a long summer of planned highlights. Thus when my housemate said she couldn't find the tickets, I wasn't worried. She is one of the most organized people I know. Afterall, the worse that could happen was that we would miss the concert, although disappointing compared to the vote on the telecoms immunity bill, the lack of habeas corpus, the growing threats against Iran, is nothing. Then began a search of all the obvious places, unobvious, a cruise through old emails to see if there were a clue (none but some nice exchanges revisited).

I went back to working on my newsletter when she called upstairs telling me she contacted the ticket company and they were sending an email giving us entry. She then went to pick up someone at the airport as pre-arranged.

When she called to say the plane was delayed two hours she asked me to check her email. No email from the ticket company.

I then called worked my way through the long German message of if you want this press that etc. to get to French and a human who said she would send another email. Lunch, a shower, some writing and the email was there.

We printed it out, hoping it would be accepted at the entrance. It was without question making us realise that if were cheating people we could duplicate the procedure for any concert, but we won't.

Had I been the one to order the tickets, I would have kept the tickets and none of the paperwork that had the order and seat numbers on the confirming fax that allowed my well-organized housemate to solve the problem.

And the tickets? I am sure they will turn up. Or there's the possibility that with so many people in and out of the house they got caught up and thrown away. It doesn't matter. The concert was great.

1 comment:

Catherine Nelson-Pollard said...

Ooh, I have exactly the same problem. A few months ago I bought tickets for the jazz train at Montreux Jazz festival. The train climbs slowly up through the mountains with fab scenery, fab music, and of course a glass of Swiss wine or two served on board etc.
I can't find the tickets ANYWHERE.

I put the tickets in a safe place, so safe that I now can't find them. No email record, prof of purchase, nada, niente,rien. Darn.