Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Greatest Gift


I once dated a lovely man, who believed that gifts should be expensive, ususally gold jewelry. He was always baffled when I got so excited about some of the gifts my daughter gave me: hard to get Oreo cookies, a Larry Bird T-shirt, penguin salt and pepper shakers and other things of that ilk. Of course I thanked my friend, but the difference was my daughter gave me something that was special to me and to my interests and price tag had nothing to do with it.
Thus for my birthday, my housemate produced WONDERFUL gifts: crackers, spaghetti, cookies.
And why were they so wonderful?
As part of my diet to keep E. Sophie Gus happy anything with gluten is a no-no and all these wonderful gifts are gluten free. I can enjoy my pasta, spread peanut butter on something that crunches and have a sweet nibbly bisquit with my afternoon tea break.
In this case it is more than the thought that counts, it is the reality of the thoughtfulness.

No comments: