Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Fun Day


I jumped at the chance to go with M1 and M2 to Rennes-le-château, the site of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and the material written about the renegade priest who came into an unexplained fortune at the turn of the 20th century. Theories range from the successful selling to thousands of masses, to finding the lost treasure of the Templiers, to discovering that the Virgin Mary had survived and come to the region and her descendents still exist. Not that this was my first trip. I am not even sure if it is the 6th or 7th, but I wanted to photos to add colour to some scenes in a book I haven't finished, and a day spent going through the beautiful countryside with nice people, would have been enough in itself. This is the view as you go up the mountain to this still tiny village. There are remnants of the old road, a path next to the modern on.




Voilà, the entry to the home the priest built. In all my trips, I never saw it during my other visits, but the colours of the windows in the late afternoon sun were wonderful.
Also above is the church the priest rebuilt. When he arrived there was no roof and the floor was crumbling, but he somehow found the money to rebuild the church, the road up the mountain, and a small mansion totalling what would cost millions of Euros today.
(And Rose: the pottery you considered buying when we were there, is still there)

No comments: