Friday, November 14, 2008

I ordered our turkey



Thanksgiving isn't a big thing here in Switzerland. But it is the one holiday when homesickness sweeps over me.

Some years it just passed. One year I had fondue, a combining of past and present. Another year a colleague knowing how I felt made her idea of pumpkin pie.

For two years I took advantage of The Bookworm, a used bookstore and tearoom and put on a feed that was as good as my grandmother's and that's saying a lot. The tables were crowded in among the bookshelves, and each time I found myself seated next to a stuffed Peter Rabbit. People, whether they were strangers or not, talked until no one was a stranger.

A memorable year was over a decade ago when friends came from the US, my daughter came from Germany with friends, another friend from Holland and my partner at the time invited all our Swiss neighbours for a huge feast in his entertainment house. That year included all the typical decorations. At the request of my girlfriend's husband I tried in French to explain to the Swiss the traditions behind the tradition. I was able to link all nationalities somehow to the feast: Calvinists for the Swiss, Puritans living in Holland until I came to my daughter's then partner, a Finn. At a loss, I decided he was the one who drove the turkey down from Mannheim.

In France my girl friend has done chicken.

Last year we were going to do a meal, the turkey was bought but technical difficulties led to a replacement meal in a Chinese restaurant. The turkey later made a great Christmas dinner.

However, this year we have 18 people invited, my housemate has brought the decorations back from California, and discussions of menu are in full swing.

I just ordered the turkey(s) from the butcher in Collonge. He has a lovely little shop with the meat laid artistically in trays in shining glass cases. We will eat on the 28th not the 27th, but I don't care. I am giving thanks for a Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thanksgiving isn't a big thing in Switzerland".

Why should it be? It's a uniquely American celebration.
We never had Pilgrim Fathers turn up on our doorstep, murder the local population and eat our turkeys.

DL NELSON said...

Never said it should be a big thing here...and I am the first to criticize the early forefathers for their treatment of the natives if not for their religious idiocy, but that doesn't stop the warm feelings of memories of sharing food at a harvest feast with loved ones, Graham, which has been a tradition in a majority of cultures since time began.

Anonymous said...

Hey I wanna come too ! Seems like there won't be much in Loma Linda this year - it has all flown to Geneva via the eldest of the tribe. Enjoy and eat some pumpkin pie for me. --Karyn