Thursday, August 12, 2010

Modern Life can be just plain dumb



I live in an 18 s.m. studio albeit it seems more spacious with its cathedral ceiling and skylights. If I were exactly in this spot 400 years ago, probably I would standing in straw used to feed the animals that would be kept on the first floor while who ever occupied the house would live on the second and third. Whoever they were would not have been able to imagine life in the 21st century nor would they have imagined REMOTES. Considering the size of the flat the idea that I need FOUR remotes daily is a bit mind boggling if not dumb.



The TV needs two remotes but the DVD needs only one. The heating/air conditioning unit on the wall would require a step ladder if it had an off on switch on the unit itself but maybe like lights a switch could be on the wall itself.



Having worked for a standards organization, I do not see why all remotes can't be identical with menus in the same place and all the functions being identical. That would also solve the frequent problem when I try and use the TV remote on the air conditioner and vice versa. At least in summer, I can say the heat has melted my mind.

However, I do not want to return to the hay-filled attic of the 16th century. I would not be able to read with books being much too rare and candle light impossible unless I wanted to burn the place down.

Nor would I have had air conditioning to cope with the heat and I'm aware that if remotes are my only source of complaint, I am pretty lucky.

No comments: