Monday, August 16, 2010

rites of passage

Although my daughter is grown, there are things I wish I could have done better.

I admire many parents on how they are bringing up their children. Some like Mighty Mom I marvel at. It has been a great pleasure to watch others go from six and missing teeth to accomplished young women, or a three-year old scoffing olives to just signing a contract for her dream job.

I've also subscribed to Dollar stretcher www.stretcher.com/menu/subscrib.cfm for years.

Today's edition carries a wonderful story about a father, aware that our society does not allow most young people turning 12 a rite of passage (exception the Jewish religion) arranged for his 12 year old son to meet with 52 men over the course of a year to gain their wisdom. The blog below is about that meeting.

http://www.52godlymen.com/week-23-a-penny-saved-is-a-penny-earned/

In societies where youth, not age, is revered, where culture is created in corporate boardrooms, this would be a wonderful trend to have grow.

No comments: