Sunday, August 28, 2011

Worry

It's normal to wish the best for friends and family.

It's normal to worry when things go wrong or that they are facing some difficult task. Until my daughter got her acceptance at Napier University in Scotland, I didn't so much as worry, but the wonder of what would happen was always in the back of my mind, and sometimes the front.

But since the beginning of 2011, worry has taken on new dimensions.

First my writer friend M, whose work I respect and whose company has always been a pleasure, was in Egypt, his home country, during the uprising. Emails flowed back and forth between those who share my feeling and finally from his wife and finally from him. All was well.

Then there was Josh and his family in Japan. His bulletins were as good as CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera, or RT. They are now resettled in the US.

And although not directly involved, there are all those people I love in Syria, people who opened their homes to me, women with whom I've shared matei, nuts, seeds and stories. People who've been in my home in Geneva. What will happen to their country, with its rich, rich history and centuries of upheavals?

The earthquake on the East Coast was only a minor concern for those that I care about there.

Now there's this weekend with Betty in Ocean Grove next door to Asbury Park, where NJ Governor Christie told people, "Get off the beach. Get off the Beach in Asbury Park." And there's Fanny in NY and Bill, Susie, Llara et.al. in Boston. Irene is bearing down on them all, and although I know they are taking all precautions, I worry.

So come on earth...enough is enough is enough.

Can we stay out of disaster zones and get back to just normal problems.

Please?

No comments: