Thursday, May 30, 2013

Onion friends


 dining,food,onions,shallots,vegetables,pastel



I had lunch yesterday with another onion friend. I have many. 

Onion friends are people whom I've known for years, but I'm still discovering new layers much like an onion has layers and layers and layers and  . . .

Onion friends have gone beyond the casual descriptions we give out to sharing the times that were difficult, challenges faced and surpassed, beliefs deeply held, ideas developed or discarded. 

This onion friend is a talented writer, journalist, who dares to risk and explore. Over the years she's been plucked from one country to another several times and has learned how to put down roots that she knows may well be transplanted and still make the most of her time. She's faced scarey period, lonely periods and has emerged stronger. She also has had wonderful experiences.

Another onion friend of well over 35 years is still telling me stories that I will respond "I didn't know that." She is one who has risked much, hasn't always won, but is a model on trying again.

When an onion friend shares a new layer the layer is not necessarily limited to a past story. In the way an onion transmits its flavour to a dish, the sharing adds flavour to the life of the listener.


No comments: