Thursday, June 07, 2018

Sleep

Sleep is not my friend unless I'm in a car when I can not stay awake.

Many nights I fall asleep and wake two hours later for anywhere from an hour to many hours. Knowing that this more normal in Medieval period where it was termed, Little Sleep and Big Sleep doesn't help.

Being single for decades left me alone in bed. I liked that. In my double bed, I could position myself diagonally. If I wanted the light on to read, I could do that.

No one was snoring. As a child, sleeping off my mother's room, I was often kept awake by her snores. For the short time I lived with my father and stepmom, his snores not only kept me awake they almost rattled the water glass on the night stand.

My first husband didn't snore (but he might now--who knows). Also as a policemen he often had the 11 p.m. to 8 a.m. shift leaving the bed to myself.

From time to time I would find myself sharing a bed and I didn't like it all that much. We aren't just talking sex here, this included traveling with a girl friend and our host or hostess saying, "You don't mind sharing a bed, do you?"

I wanted to scream yes, but politeness made me smile and say no.

Now I am married to a wonderful man. Some nights he snores, others, he is so quiet, I touch him to make sure he is breathing.

We do have a snore room that doubles as my office for the nights no matter how he turns, he snores. Yet, I don't always use the escape route.

Why?

Because his presence gives me more comfort than quiet. I remember an agony aunt letter once where the wife said she would give anything to have her late husband snoring beside her.

I count my blessings that he is there.

No comments: