I think abortion is a terrible thing for a woman to have to go through. I also know from my research that making it illegal will not stop abortion any more than prohibition stopped people drinking.
- Groups like the Clergy Counseling Service (nationwide) and Jane (Chicago-based) will be started to find safe places for women to go. They helped some 500,000 women in the four years before Roe v. Wade find safe abortions.
- Women who can afford it, will go where it is safe.
- Women who can't will stick anything that might work up their vaginas or find back-alley people.
- Major hospitals once again will be forced to have 20-30+ beds for dying women after their abortions.
- Back alley abortionists will use women's plight as a cash cow.
According to Dr. Louis Gerstley, Chief at Philadelphia General Hospital 1956-1976, “The legalization of abortion had almost no effect on the level of abortions. The way you can determine it is to go to any World Almanac in your library and graph the number of deliveries in the U.S. between the 50s and 80s and you will find a fairly steady line. In the early 70s after Roe v. Wade, we were doing between one and 1.24 million abortions a year. It (Roe v. Wade) didn’t affect the number of deliveries. No woman goes out to get pregnant for kicks of having an abortion which is far too expensive physically, financially and emotionally. There was a marked drop in maternal mortality (after abortion was legal).”
We can't go back.