Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sally Price

Sally Price is driving me crazy.

She is one of the characters in the book I am writing, Day Care. I was even thinking of eliminating her although I found her interesting.

The daughter of an almost crazy evangelical minister, she was disowned when she had a chance to go to a boarding school, where she could study normal subjects rather than be home schooled. Later she had a baby but threw the father out for stealing from her.

Like all the other three single mothers which are the focus of the novel, she supports each of them when necessary and has fun with them as well.

But I wasn't sure there was enough of interest to keep her. The conflict necessary to keep her story going was all in her past and had little relevance to the current time.

I was about to hit the delete key on her chapters, but she has stopped me by worming her way in my thoughts as I cooked, as I walked the dog, as I tried to fall asleep.

That is the second character in this book that seems to be taking over the story in a way I never intended.

"My father is dying, I want one last chance to see him," she tells me.
"And what do you think will happen?" I ask her.
"How should I know, you're the writer."

Maybe by this afternoon, Sally and I will have figured it out.

No comments: