Friday, November 01, 2019

Christmas idea

Christmas is a time of excess in many households, perhaps not quite as bad as in the photo.Studies have shown that many Christmas gifts are forgotten. An estimated 60 million Christmas presents in the UK were unwanted.

Growing up we made our Christmas lists. We knew Santa would only bring five, afterall a sleigh only holds so much.

When I was a poor university student, Dr. Patricia Goler, head of the history department, a brilliant woman and human being, ran a charity where students selected a poor Lowell family to buy presents for. We were struggling ourselves, but we still found the funds to deliver a gaily-wrapped toy and perhaps something practical like mittens or a scarf for each child on our list. It was a lesson for me, I never forgot. No matter how little I have, share what I can with someone less lucky.

In Switzerland with my boy friend, his family gave only one present per person. We each took turns opening it with everyone watching. I loved the calmness not the hysteria and the thought that went into each of those presents was extraordinary.

There is nothing like the contrast between the hysteria and mass consumption of Western Christmases to the poverty and need around the world.

I suggest that we all give one less Christmas present this year but make a charitable donation in a person's or child's name. Make that our gift to them. For kids, this can be a lesson in appreciation that they have things that others only dream about. It can also teach geography or any other number of subjects related to the gift. Or make donations in several people's names instead of giving anything material.

There are many organizations to help others. British television has tons of ads if you are in the UK.

When I lived in Boston, Globe Santa was a favorite. One year I spent a Saturday wrapping presents. It is easy to throw a can of something in a grocery collection box.

When I was a journalist I leaned toward a World Council of Credit Union's project. My donation went to a woman who was saving up for cardboard to improve her roof. After filling out the form, I went to the place in my village where we dump our trash. A man in a Mercedes was throwing away enough cardboard not only for that woman but for her entire village.

Thanks to my friend Don, I learned about Kiva www.kiva.org which will be my charity this year.

Kiva is a 501 non-profit organization that allows people to lend money via the Internet to low-income entrepreneurs and students in over 77 countries. Kiva's mission is "to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive." So far they've made over $1.4 billion in loans to 1.8 million borrowers. Their repayment rate is 96.8%. It reminds me of WOCCU, an organization that develops credit unions around the world. Yup, it is possible to have non-profit financial institutions that flourish.

It is not necessary with Kiva to fund an entire loan, but part with as little $25.

I just made a donation to the Gnoumay Group who still needs $750 to buy fertilizer. Here is their photo. Part of my decision is that they are in Bukina Faso where my late friend Barbara Hagaman spent years trying to help women out of poverty.



The group has eight members represented by the one who is responsible named Ardjita. She is 56-years-old, married and has two children. She raises vegetables and has been doing that for 11 years. She wants the loan to purchase agricultural fertilizers. It is her principle revenue source. Her business zone is very far from the financial institutions. After her harvest, she sells vegetables at a very reasonable price. At the completion of her sales, she will have a profit that will allow her to meet the needs of her family and to continue her business. 
There are organizations where you can check if your American donation will go the people/animals it is suppose to be helping or to overrated salaries. Here are two.






This does not mean giving up gift-gifts. All year long when I see something, I know someone will love, I will buy it. It also means my Christmas shopping is usually done even before the decorations go up in the stores although each year that is harder.

I cannot save the world. I won't pretend I can, but if I can make just a tiny, tiny portion of it better, than that to me is a great Christmas present.

No comments: