Saturday, November 23, 2019

No More Ricks

My former housemate, only half-kiddingly, suggested I allow no more Rick's or Richards in my life.

I understood.

My husbands were both named Rick. I began numbering them 1 and 2 when a college friend confessed "I like Rick 2 better than Rick 1." So do I.

Rick 1 has a son Rick, whose son is also Rick. They are my daughter's father, stepfather, stepbrother and step nephews who are in our discussions.

Then there is my nephew Rick. At least he didn't name his son Rick.

And although he is called Richard, there's my ex-boss who keeps cropping up in my life. If I say Rick, my former housemate and others may ask "which one" unless the context makes it clear.

I am an old hand at dealing with many people of the same name. A friend Susan had a secretary Susan and worked closely with a woman named Susan who had a secretary named Susan. Their boss said in stead of calling them by name, she should hiss.

We are now beginning to face a plethora (love that word plethora) of Andys with my husband's work. When he said he needed to call Andy, I had to ask, "which one."

As a student of history, there are too many kings named Henry, Louis and George in French and English history. Any doubts about the Louis the 16th? There was no 16th because that was the end of the monarchy. It is hard to remember which number was the Sun King and which launched the first crusade. Henry VIII is easy to remember because he had six wives and is known for breaking from the Catholic Church. And there was the pop song  I am Henry VIII I am.

I know there are in-names every year. 1917 when my mother was born, Dorothy was a common name. Her generation produced a lot of Evelyns and Madelines, names that are coming back.

When I went to name my daughter, I wanted something unusual. Llara doesn't like her double L but she should be grateful her father rejected the name Cloud.

I am not going to tell my former housemate a writing friend, with whom we line up with sometimes,  is named Rick. 


No comments: