Friday, July 31, 2020

Champagne

When I was growing up, we kept a bottle of champagne in the second living room closet for a special occasion. That occasion was my engagement.

We opened the bottle. It was flat and sour.

There might be a couple of messages here. Carpe diem. Or it could have been an omen of an unhappy marriage. Or both.

Champagne wasn't much part of my life until I moved to Switzerland. My boss was a firm believer in champagne to celebrate each sale. And because I lived in the company apartment in the village of Môtiers, I was responsible for keeping the refrigerator stocked.

Mauler & Cie from 1829 produced champagne in a cave in an old Benedictine monastery located in this 700-person village. Technically it wasn't champagne, because it didn't come from Champagne, France. Even champagne from Champagne, Switzerland can only call itself by another name, but everyone knows.

When I invited people to dinner it was fun to go to the cave for a tasting apèro before we walked the five-minutes back to my home for the meal.

Champagne seems to be much more common in Europe. As are Kir Royales which add fruit liquors to the beverage. My stepmom fell in love with Kir Royales when she visited me in Geneva and we ate at Mortimer's. Out of business, I still miss their chocolate cake more than the Kir Royales.

Champagne has become more common place in my life. Before the pandemic when we had guests we might offer red, white or champagne.

There was one morning we went to the beach to see the sunrise armed with a blanket, croissants and a split of champagne. A romantic moment at its very best.

It is almost sacrilege to report that one Sunday when preparing a fondue we discovered we were out of white wine. I looked at the champagne split. It did work.

Champagne is also lovely with the two of us whether we are on the patio in Geneva or Argelès.

Having just finished a ChickLit/Shopping Novel, champagne was the rule it seemed along with the brand names. I don't usually read this type of book, but the writer had me hooked to know what happened. As a writer I know it takes as much work to do a well written Chick/Lit/Novel as is does to do any genre. The champagne frequency amused me.

I don't mean to give the impression, we guzzle champagne through out the day every day. It can be special, like Rick passing his French test or having Deirdre produce another wonderful cover for my next novel.

I've learned to carpe diem all over the place along with the merit of a good husband and a glass of champagne.


No comments: