Sunday, August 02, 2020

Fake News, etc.

Call it fake news, propoganda or state-mobilized information, it has been around probably since the cave man. However, Matthew Fraser in his book, In Truth: a History of Lives from Ancient Rome to Modern History, demonstrates how those in power or those who want to be in power manipulate facts, fantasies and wishes to their own ends starting with Julius Caesar.

We find familiar people such as Charlemagne, Bede, up to modern times and a few lesser known beings as well as the unknown and how they used events to shape the many myths we believe today or explain their marching across the historic stage.

The goals may have been the same although modern times have brought new tools and adaptations of old methods.

Even as a history buff, there were several times I had to put down the book with a sigh and and "I didn't know that, but I wish, I had."

What I found especially interesting is that whether it is a Roman citizen or a Florida housewife and most humans in between, how people over the centuries have fallen for the lies, let them shape their lives many times to their own detriment.

As Fraser says in his conclusion, "The truth about truth is complicated."

1 comment:

Paul Wilke said...

I'll have to check this book out! It's a topic I find interesting. Nietzsche once wrote that "We have art in order not to die of the truth." I think that if we didn't have our art, myths, fictions and, yes, lies about the way the world is, we'd probably die of despair. They are the glue that holds it all together to keep the nihilism at bay.