Thursday, August 20, 2020

Doing your job


Me: What's the matter? You look sad, Sherlock.

Sherlock: Rick yelled at me. I was just doing my job. There was the black cat, a huge dog, a man pulling a suitcase all walking by. I barked and barked until they went away. But Rick yelled  "NO!!!!!" Why? It's my job.

Me: And?

Sherlock: I forgot to mention the feather from the pigeon and two leaves fell off the grapevine. He yelled when I barked at that too.

Me: Why do you think it is your job?

Sherlock: I'm protecting you, and Rick and all my toys from the people, animals, leaves and feather.

Me: But they didn't come in.

 

Sherlock: Sigh, but they might have. What if they'd kidnapped Lamb Chop or Pocahontas?

Me: Who has come in in the past?

Sherlock: Right now Marco who is painting on the patio. And there's Lydia, Eva, Rolf, Angela, Karrie, the people we meet at the café. And oh yes Rita and Paddy.  Oh and Heather, but she took me for lovely walks.

Me: None of those people hurt us or your toys?

Sherlock: No, except for bad dog Paddy and peed on our curtains, but he's still my buddy.

Me: They are our friends all those people? And Paddy?

Sherlock: And I am glad to see them. They pat me and tell me how cute I am.

Me: So maybe your job could be done by just barking at people who stay at the door and not walk by?

Sherlock: But that black cat, she taunts me.

Me: Don't give her the pleasure of reacting.

We would have continued talking but he sprang off the stairs to bark at two chihuahuas walking by. Rick was in the kitchen making lunch and didn't yell at him.

 


 


No comments: