Saturday, April 29, 2023

The Saudi Woman

 

Rick really wanted to go to the 48th International Inventions exhibit. I was neutral, but I learned long ago that neutrality usually leads to some great discoveries. This was no exception.

The first thing I noticed was the welcoming hello in more languages that I could even guess as we entered the exhibition.

The other thing that stood out was the majority of exhibitors were Chinese or from Asia. The rest was a hodge podge of European countries and one from America. This is worrying economically for both Europe and North America.

The booths had everything from high tech to green alternatives and much that was in between.

As communicators, Rick and I noticed that signs had much too much to read. Many were both in English and whatever oriental language

Rick did find a couple of things he will find helpful in his work. I found things that piqued my interest. I also was appreciative of the vast amount of creativity that surrounded me. And admittedly, there were things I didn't begin to begin to understand. Even explanations didn't help.

I passed the Iranian stand, and next to it was was the tiniest exhibition booth I have ever seen. One could not stand in the middle and hold out both arms. It was womanied by a woman in burka from Saudi Arabia.

"Mahaba," I said and added I did not know much more Arabic.

We decided English was easier for her than French.

She was a researcher working thru a university to find natural antibiotics. She explained to me about her four white rats and 4 levels of tests complete with slides of results.

Since no one seemed to even notice her, I felt I was not taking up her time that she could spend with someone more important to her needs.

She was impassioned with her work.

She apologized for it, opening the door to a slightly more personal discussion.  

There was so much more I wanted to ask her as she fiddled to keep her head scarf in place.

How was it to be a woman at a university in a country where women were so limited? How did she become interested in her field? Was she married? Children? What was her daily life like? How did she feel about the burka?

I didn't, but told her, under different circumstances I would love to share a cup of tea with her. She agreed. I could tell by her eyes she was smiling. 

She asked if she could take a selfie of us. 

I said yes.

Rick waited patiently for me and we moved on to a booth where there was a test for a dog allergy test and we took the literature to show our vet. 

My great discoveries? The chat with the woman and perhaps a solution to Sherlock's allergies.

 Rick has a dueling blog at https://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.com/2023/04/change-world.html covering the more technical aspects.


No comments: