Saturday, January 08, 2022

Binges

I'm not talking about alcohol nor eating binges.

French stations like TF1 and M6 among others often show three episodes of a series back to back. No waiting for the following week to find out what happened. I like that.

Years ago, my housemate and I would binge on different series watching three or four a night, often accompanied by snacks from simple cheese and crackers to more luxurious smoked salmon and foie gras. My husband and I are more apt to indulge in popcorn and ice cream when we settle in to watch one or two episodes, a mini binge.

On Saturdays a French station is currently showing Rizzoli and Iles. I can curl up on the couch and take a trip back to Boston. Even if most of the series wasn't filled in the city, there were enough familiar places it was a trip home, making it a happy binge. The same Boston trip can be done with the Spenser for Hire series. No need to wear masks or get more Covid tests as I would if I visited the city via plane.

When we had/have DVD sets we watch multi-episodes which are even better than French, English, Swiss station, because there are no adverts. 

And as for NETFLIX, we can go through an entire series or until we no longer care what happens to the characters. Sometimes series over write until the plots become unbelievable.

Right now, I'm binging on the TV show Suits

At first my husband teased me about it, but now he will sit through some of the episodes.

Part of me during binging isn't just watching. I notice certain things.

  • The actor playing the character Louis has the most wonderful facial expressions as well as body movements. I sometimes forget to listen to the words as his face moves.
  • All the women are tall, a majority more so than the men. They also wear high heels making them taller.
  • The dresses of the women are nothing I've ever seen in a high power legal office, although I haven't visited many. I just can't imagine that much cleavage. And most of the dresses zip up the back. The characters who wear them live alone. Who zips up those dresses in the morning.
  • Recurring characters keep popping as do an ongoing awareness of lines from movies--it's fun.
  • The writing is really clever.

My goal is to watch all episodes before we move back to Geneva for the winter. That way I won't miss Louis, Harvey, Donna, Gretchen, Jessica. Then I will need to search for a new series and another binge.


No comments: