Saturday, January 22, 2022

voting rights smugness

 


I feel sorry for Americans and their voting rights mess.

I feel smug at how easy it is for me to vote in Switzerland. The day I took my oath as a new citizen, a voting package, and a glass of champagne were put in my hand. A pain surprise (salmon, ham sandwiches layered in a round bread loaf) was served. Since then in 2006 4x a year I receive a voting package. I have two choices on how to make my voice heard.

  1. Mail it in with the signature card which is separate from my vote in a sealed envelope.
  2. Take it to my local polling place which is open the Sunday morning on the final day of voting. Every village and town has one. Cities have many conveniently located. Pre-pandemic we were offered coffee and pastries. I do need an ID when I hand in my sealed envelope but then again every citizen has an ID. My red passport would work too.

The voting package format is always the same and in one of the national languages that I've chosen. 

 The voting package contains

  •  The wording of the item we voting on
  • Pros
  • Cons
  • The government's position. Sometimes they've placed a counter proposition and the voter can decide between them.
  • A list of how all the parties (we have many) stand on the issue
  • A signature card which includes my date of birth and a number for checking the authenticity.
  • An envelope to seal after I put my ballot inside. 

Prior to each vote, posters for all issues appear in every village and all around the cities. They are usually set out in rows but not always. Language depends on the language of the canton.

I already have my package on the February votation. Two issues are easy: animal testing and tobacco advertising to the young. The third, which has to do with stamps and business, I need to study up on. Last night one of the ministers spoke on television about the government's position. There are seven ministers, sometimes called the Seven Dwarfs. Each runs a department much like a cabinet post. The president changes annually from the seven. 

After lunch today, I'll read up on the issue. French is my second language and although I can read the newspaper, a magazine and a book fairly easily, some of the wording sends me to a translator to make 100% sure I understand.

The system is not perfect. There can be corruption and stupidity like everywhere but it works more than it doesn't. In Switzerland the German cantons often overrule the French. Often the results are different than my vote. Too many Swiss don't vote but it still reflects the opinion of the majority who care.

That's why I'm smug and when I feel sorry for Americans who have to work harder to vote, a privilege and a duty, than I do.




No comments: