Tuesday, January 25, 2022

4 Seasons

 

Really looking forward to Saint Moritz next weekend when my husband will play in the SnowBall Hickory Golf Tournament. It should be a real Swiss wintery scene. It made me think about my feeling to the seasons.

Spring: Flowers begin to blossom: mimosa, forsythia, tulips, daffodils violets, a pink feather tree, fruit trees. Warmer -- so shedding a puff coat feels okay. The days lengthen. Sadly, I lose the hour I won in September and each day brings me closer to the dreaded summer. Last chance to walk on the beach before it's hidden under towels and tourists.

Summer: Summer can be hell for me when the temperature and the humidity rise stealing my energy. The summer evenings sitting in a café can be lovely with the days that hang around till it's time to fall into bed. Friends from all over the world return to their second homes. There are street dances. 

Autumn: My favorite season. The days get shorter which makes the nights longer and cozier. We get out the mink and snuggle under it when we go to bed. The leaves change color, fall to earth to make nice crunching sounds. We change the clocks. I get to have one more hour on that day. I no longer worry about the heat. I change over my wardrobe and greet my sweaters, sweats, flannel PJs. The beach is once again deserted. If we want to catch the sunrise instead of getting up at 3 we can get up almost at a normal hour. 

Winter: Thank goodness. Cold again. We have the shortest day. Christmas decorations decorate my village turning it into a fairy land. My florist picks out a perfect tree. It has to be a table tree because Sherlock thinks of a floor tree as an indoor toilet. It has to be a live tree for the winter solstice which for me completes the year and is an offering for the next season to come.


A sunrise from the beach on a winter morning. It was the only time I've seen a square sun.


No comments: