Saturday, April 16, 2005

Car Freedom

There is something wonderful about having public transportation that can take you anywhere in your city or country regularly and fast. Although the Swiss buses and trains can be expensive, they do have many cards that can reduce your cost. One on the train, good for three years, can even be tied into car rental. With it comes a reduction of Geneva buses, boats, and admissions to certain things.

The bus system, even out in my country place is never less than two an hour, although in my old flat it was more like every seven minutes. I can live with the difference for it means that I gave up owning a car years ago, saving a small fortune in payments, insurance and maintenance.

The other advantages are that buses and trains don’t get lost, I can read and sleep when I ride them, and they never lack for parking spaces.

From time to time I find people to talk to. Yesterday it was Cambodian man that was reading about the lack of salary increases in the US. We started talking and compared it to the high salary increase of CEOs. We both said we would never buy an HP product again because we would be paying for the $27 million golden handshake of their ex CEO.

On the way to Ferney one day everyone in the bus ran to one side to share a rainbow.

And there are friends you run into on the bus.

No comments: