Saturday, April 16, 2005

Hair Cuts in an Art Gallery

My hair dresser also operates an art gallery, although I am not sure which is an excuse for what. The ultra modern mirrors are slideable so whatever paintings are on display are not hidden and can be shown at full advantage while he and his brother cut and style hair. The mirrors, chairs, brushes, combs, blow dryers and sinks disappear during Vernisages (showings) after hours.

Jean-Pierre also gives one hell of a great haircut so much so, that my daughter tries to postpone her own cuts until she is in Geneva, although I suspect she likes to tell her Boston friends that he hairdresser is in Geneva. In fact he gives three great haircuts, dry, wet, and dry. And there is the head massage that leaves me almost unable to walk it is so relaxing.

His choice of beverages surpasses some tearooms and his selection of music in the background is some of the best jazz I’ve heard.

Jean-Pierre and his brother also make his gallery, er salon, er gallery available to the Geneva Writers Group for readings.

While he cuts my hair we discuss films, music, writing, art, vacation spots, food. When we finish I have a haircut that will fall into place for months, or as my daughter says, wash and wear hair and a cultural experience all at the same time.

No comments: