Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Other Side of the Lake

Not to be confused with The Far Side.

When I rented my Grand Saconnex flat next to the airport and within walking distance of all the alphabet organizations, ILO, WIPO, HCR, ISO, IEC, UN, WHO, etc., I thought it would be for three years. I lived their eleven, longer than anywhere else I’ve lived in my adult life. However, wonderful neighbors, being able to walk to work, stroll to the airport or France, made it worth while.

When I was no longer working, and the latest batch of neighbors had moved, I decided it was time for a change. I moved to the other side of a lake where I am sharing a house with the owner of the old flat. Although I loved my old commune with its painted buildings, regular festivals, I also love being in a country village. Horses clop by, the fruit orchards are coming into bloom, the postmaster recognizes me whenever I walk in. I do not miss the planes flying overhead.

In the old flat most of the people were internationals: English, Syrian, Indian, Russian, Belgian, Iraqi, Lebanese, Japanese, Kenyan, Czech to name a few. Although it is fascinating there is something also nice about living in Switzerland with the Swiss as I did the first three years in this country. Living with internationals you know that they will move. Some people feel it isn’t worth spending the time getting to know internationals because just when you are getting really close they are reassigned somewhere else in the world, but I would not have given up for anything finding fresh bread flown in on the diplomatic pouch from Prague, borscht, or being taught how to hold chopsticks, I suppose a variation of better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. Better to be friends for a while and share than not to have shared at all. However, although I am an international, I do not intend to go back to my native country. My roots may be shallow compared to people whose families go back centuries, but they are roots.

In my new village I love the smell of the earth as it is turned over for the spring planting. Although to get home it takes longer, the ride by the lake with its many moods, the Alps playing peek-a-boo with weather conditions, is well worth the change.

No comments: