Thursday, October 06, 2005

I want to be sooooo wrong

I want to be so wrong

For a person who loves being right I want to be so wrong about this. Bush’s announced that if bird flu hit the U.S. it might be necessary to call out the military. Everyone I know in the States has poo-poohed my fears of a suspension of the Constitution and the military take over by this current government mentally patting me on my head and saying ‘paranoia’ behind my back. Never mind that General Tommy Franks said in the event of another terrorist attack we would suspend The Constitution and go to a military government. Now Bush has floated the concept again in what I believe is a trial balloon.

The Jews in Germany in 1939 didn’t believe what was going to happen could possibly happen and complacently stayed in Germany.

However a government that stole two elections, that routinely has lied about issues like the environment, social security, torture and more, that illegally invaded a sovereign nation under false pretenses that resulted in the deaths of 1000s of people (theirs and ours) and whose friends have benefited financially from that attack would have no compunctions about doing whatever they needed to stay in power.

Even if I am wrong on this, financially the US has to implode. Although bankruptcy is now harder for the small consumer, the amount of debt carried by the government exceeds all reason. Economists around the world keep shaking their heads talking about when not if it comes crashing down. US economists offer mixed views. The housing bubble will have to burst (little non economist me predicted both the savings and loan and the dot.com busts.)

I believe anyone who has the wherewithal to sell what they have now and move to another country should while they still can while there is still value and before the government becomes a military dictatorship. I truly envision the day when I will not be able to see to my loved ones because I cannot enter and they cannot leave the US.

Talking with many over the weekend at an international conference, I could break down those who couldn’t believe it might happen (they lived in the US) and those who believed it could (those who lived outside the US). I throw the concept out timidly only to find those outside the US jump on the idea, saying, Í thought it was only me.’

As I said, I so want to be wrong.

No comments: