Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Sunrise gifts

‘You’ve got to go outside,’ Scott said. He is the son of the woman whose house I share and is battling his way into adulthood. I could put both my feet in one of his boots and still have room, although trying to move from point A to point B that way would result in a painful accident. He is an extremely handsome kid with blond wavy hair and a cherubic face.

I was in the basement office checking my email. When I began it was still dark, although next week after we change the clocks, it will be light at the same hour. I looked at him.

‘I mean it, you have to go outside.’ He picked up his mother’s camera. She was waiting for him the car.

I ran up the stairs not understanding. The sun was just rising. The sky exploded in pinks, roses and reds. I gaped at the beauty.

When I lived on the other side of the lake, I used to issue rainbow alerts to my neighbors. My view was the best to see the sometimes double and trouble rainbows and the neighbors would stand on my balcony oohing and ahhing. This celestial show was as good as any rainbow.

Scott was right. I did have to go outside. Making me was a gift.

No comments: