Friday, December 16, 2005

Add on purchases

More and more products seem to be sold these days to be used with additional stuff to buy. I see an espresso machine that only works with coffee capsules purchased from the same company. Then of course there are mops that have to have a new paper cover added each time that allegedly work better than other mops. I still think my old string mop works better than anything I ever used. Mine is now 18 years old and still going strong and I found it. How is that for saving money and having a clean floor at the same time, although washing floors are not something to get thrilled about?

Polaroid made money on their film not on their cameras, but cameras (pre Digital days) needed film.

Clever marketing. Over the years I have been taken in by advert claims: e.g. that PH blanace made a difference in ny hair (it doesn’t), bacteria is waiting to kill me on my counter tops (the antibacterial soaps are proving to be more dangerous) and that showing a panty line under slacks wasn’t attractive (no one noticed before pantyhose companies made a thing of it). Thanks to a friend I wasn’t taken in by HRT claims of being necessary—lets face it menopausal women are a drug company’s cash cow.

One of the wonderful things about aging is now I realize when advertiseres are trying to make a fool of me. We are playing a new game some of my friends on how we can create add-on products so instead of a one-time purchase we can keep buying and buying. Here’s what we came up with at lunch.


Lipstick – Can only be put on with a one-time use brush. Women would need to buy at least two brushes a day rather than one lipstick every few months. It will be sold on the idea of hygiene and how much better the brush works to make your mouth beautiful.

Panty liners to match your panties. You always have to buy the same pattern to feel sexy. With my love of co-ordination in color, my friends decided I would probably buy them. I have to admit I would think about it IF I used panty liners which I see no need for until I have a bladder problem or won't get a chance to change my underware for several days, a rare occurence.

Clothes that disintegrate after you wear them. Gotta be careful they don't disintegrate as you wear them.

Vases that need “magic water” to keep your flowers longer. (The ceramic of the vase will have some chemical in them that if used with normal water causes your flowers to die).

Paper slip covers for furniture that look like cloth so you change your décor daily or weekly. To be advertised by showing a woman shamed that her furniture was the same color for two parties she gave.

Pan liners. Throw them away after cooking so you don’t have to wash pans. That one may have some merit.

Any other ideas on useles add ons out there?

No comments: