Monday, December 19, 2005

Back in Geneva

The life size cow statue outside the optician’s who normally wears a pair of glasses, now has a Santa hat as well as the glasses. A book has been published with all the cows that were on display this summer.
*****
I so did NOT want to go to Payerne on Sunday. But Florian and I were celebrating an early Christmas. Julia was baking cookies and playing Christmas Carols. The Christmas tree was waiting for its final decorations and it would have been so cozy to stay at home. However, as soon as the E bus started down the hill, I was rewarded with the sun shining on the snow- covered Jura behind the lake. Even if breath-taking beauty is the norm, I never have taken it for granted.
*****
The second reason for feeling guilty at not wanting to leave the house (or more accurately STAY IN the house) was my Christmas gift. Florian long ago learned just buying expensive jewelry wasn’t appreciated all that much. He learned that when Llara brought me a bag of American snacks for my birthday. He realized finally the thought far outdid the price. He had suggested we go shopping and pick out an outfit that he would like to offer me. He knows I prefer going to the dentist to shopping. I said, I would rather have something he chose for me. Well, he went to one of the Payerne shops and picked out four outfits and “borrowed” them so I could choose one without shopping. They were all beautiful. I selected a brown,gold, black gypsy skirt with a brown turtle neck top. He noticed the skirt I was wearing and suggested that I take the aqua top which would go well with that skirt.
*****
In and out of old age. When I turned 63 last June my monthly bus pass was decreased to 45 CHF, a real buy when each daily ticket costs 6 CHF. However, Jan. 1 the retirement age for women will be raised to 64. I am only 63 so I am back to paying 70 CHF a month, still a good deal. In July after my birthday, I can once again go back to the old price. I joked with the man, it made me feel younger, but less rich.
*****
The bus system has placed a large bus in the center of downtown. The bus had huge wooden cutouts of multi-colored bags decorating its roof. People can check their packages free of charge.
*****
Depistage is French for mammogram. I had mine today, free to all women over a certain age in Canton Geneva. Many words make sense in translation. Depistage does not. Piste is the word for ski trail. I kept thinking of miniature skiers getting crushed in the machine that was imaging the inside they were being depisted.

When Americans say pissed they mean angry. A Brit means drunk. Neither were my breasts angry or drunk or eliminating bodily fluids.

No comments: