Sunday, January 08, 2006

King Kong Rides Again But Not Near me

One movie I won’t go see is King Kong. When I was ten, the producers brought back the original and advertised it on television. Night after night when I went to bed, I knew, just knew, that the ape was outside my window ready to take me to New York in his giant hand. Although I would have loved to see New York, which was impossible because of my travel-phobic mother, I wanted to travel by more conventional methods.

I would sneak out of bed and crawl to the top of the stairs where my mother would find me and drag me back to bed. Although she tried to explain how King Kong was made, and no matter how unscary he seemed during the day, at night in bed I was sure he was stomping outside drowning out the country night sounds.

Like all movies, the advertisements stopped and King Kong went on to terrorize other little girls. And although it might be interesting to see how special effects have improved in showing errant apes, this is one movie I can do without. Besides, King Kong just might decide to swim Lake Geneva and show up outside my window in Corsier ready to carry me off to the Eiffel Tower.

No comments: