Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Movies

This was a film going week. Mid week I slipped into a theatre to see The Constant Gardner, sad, frightening in the possibility of its truth of immoral testing of drugs on innocents. Power and money, money and power, a dangerous combination for the planet, but great for a movie.

Friday night Julia and I decided we needed a feel-good movie. Even if the reviews of Rumors (French Title) hadn’t been good, we decided anything with Shirley MacLaine was worth 12 CHF. To make it even more like Friday night movies of old we bought popcorn and a drink, and we both have retained to our Americaness enough to insist on salted not sweet popcorn. We weren’t disappointed.

Bonsoir et Bon Chance, Good Night and Good Luck, was wonderful. I was with three English and one English/Belgian friend. I remember watching Edward R. Murrow interview Liberace and I remember my mother watching and believing McCarthy was protecting our country. All right -- I was more upset that the HUAC preempted my children’s programs, but what I did watch didn’t feel right to me even at eight. Interesting the only music in the film’s background was the singer. Between the singer, the subject, the memories and the black and white, I was truly moved and saddened that we have learned nothing. Bless you George Clooney for this.

There are several other films that are out that I want to see: Mrs Henderson with Judy Dench, Jeune Homme, a Swiss film about a young Swiss German who becomes an au paar in Geneva, a French movie about a father who left his money to his children on the condition they walk the St. Jacques de Compostalo trail and even the remake of Dick and Jane, although that might be a wait for it on DVD.

So many films, so little time.

No comments: