Monday, July 03, 2006

My copper pans

My first copper pan has been returned from Syria, new tin inside and the outside polished to a mirror finish, assuming I want to know how I would look either jaundiced or as a jack-o-lantern.

Two more pans from the set sit on the top of the dresser waiting for the next Syrian to go to Damascus. One will come back relined with tin, one will be given to the tinsmith who was fascinated by the French design. The set has more than I need.

The pans were bought at my favorite antique shop. After reading about all the bad chemicals that Teflon launches into your body, I’d been looking for special pans for sometime. These were beautiful hanging from my kitchen beans, but without the tin inside would be more dangerous than the Teflon.

The retinning craft no longer exists in France or Switzerland or if it does, I can’t find anyone to do it. Thus my pans are becoming very well traveled one by one.

No comments: