Monday, July 24, 2006

What a great birthday

I had huddled in the house most of the day to avoid the horrendous heat outside, but about five I figured I would treat myself to a birthday ice cream at Frank’s café – two boules of café avec sauce de chocolate.

I wasn’t all that excited about my birthday. 64 is not a milestone like 60 was. I had calls from some of my nearest and dearest, and two wonderful donations to organizations have been made in my name. I prefer donations to peace or health research organizations which are gifts that don't have to be dusted and do far more good than anything else and I am thrilled that my friends humor me.

"Bonne anniversaire," Sophie said, as soon as I settled in my place. Sophie resembles Penelope Cruise and is not only a great waitress, but a loving person with a good sense of humor.

"Barbara t'y dit," I said and she admitted that Barbara had indeed mentioned she was to wish me happy birthday when I came in.

I finished my ice cream and was working up the energy to stand up when Kay came by with a chocolate cake and a candle. I shared a piece with her and Sophie. Soon Barbara appeared and Kay’s husband. Then Valerie joined us. Within a short time we had a table that was made up of Americans, French, Swiss, English and Dutch. One of the Swiss, a professional musician who plays the cello brought a saw and played me happy birthday. It is the first time I have been serenaded with a saw. Frank brought out complimentary champagne for all of us and of course we invited him to join us.

We stayed until closing. On the way home I dropped two of the three remaining pieces of chocolate cake off at Jean-Pierre and Babette's and the kid downstairs was lucky enough to get the last small piece.

Meanwhile I share my birthday with Jennifer Lopez, Ruth Buzy, Bob Eberly, Amelia Earhart, Alexander Dumas, Simon Bolivar and Bella Abzug, Steve Grogan (NE Patriot –haven’t lost all my Boston connections) Jennifer Anniston’s father, Oriana Fallaci, King oF Sardinia Victor Emannuel I.

It was a great, great birthday.

3 comments:

Merc said...

A belated Hippo Bird Day to you, mate.
Good to hear that you had such a grand day. Now for a great year.
Best,
Sylvia

Merc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bb said...

Happy Birthday, or; Ometeto Gozaimasu!