Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Flight Patterns

My mom and I stood at her bathroom looking toward the lake and watching the hundreds of birds gathered at the waterline near where the dock used to be. I don’t know the name of the species but most were white with long graceful necks. The others were grey and duck-like, but they weren’t ducks.

In the middle of the lake is an island with brown bushes. In the spring they will be green.

“Have you seen the alligator lately?” I asked.

She shook her head.

Together we watched as one by one the birds floated across the water to find a night time perch reminding me of airplanes on a runway waiting for clearance to take off.

“In a half hour they will all be over there, there on the island.” my mom said, “one by one.”

Like so much in life that she has told me over the years, she was right.

No comments: