Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lost in Barcelona AGAIN

Barcelona has some wonderful sights. What it does not have is decent signage. My friend and I were driving her daughter and grandson to the airport after a wonderful visit. I have always liked and respected her daughter and her commitment to making the world better. Her son at 11 is just one great kid.

To make sure they didn’t miss their Monday flight we took them down on Sunday. I have never been in Barcelona without getting lost. This goes back to when my mom and daughter were roaming around. Had my daughter with her unerring sense of direction taken over the path finding chore we might still be circling even if it were 24 years ago. This trip was no exception.

I will admit I am spoiled by the excellent directional signs in Switzerland and France.

Their hotel was less than a kilometre from the airport which we found with little trouble. We spent almost as much time looking for the hotel as we did on the two hour drive.

The reason?

Signage.

We would see 11 Septembre and an arrow straight ahead. Then we would come to a round about with four exits but absolutely no other signs on which exit would be. Or we would see Ronda Litteral with an arrow. We would drive and the road would fork into two equal roads with no signs.

The TGV is going direct to Barcelona in the future and I can see myself going down to explore the city, BUT I can’t see myself ever willingly driving there again with the exception of the airport. That is marked and if all else fails it is easy to spot planes landing and taking off.

No comments: