Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Pac Man eats Palestine

Each morning I set my alarm for 5:30 to watch BBC’s Hardtalk, which features guests from all over the world all over the political spectrum, not just the same old same old that American talk shows use. Then I do my review of AlJazerra, BBC, CNN and France 24 so I start the day with a knowledge that the world continues to exist and how much trouble it is from a variety of perspectives.

Not that I can do anything about it, although letters to congressmen, newspapers and world leaders flow freely from my email. And I certainly like the hard hitting questions that shame that wuss Tim Russert. On Hardtalk you get the host contradicting false statements with proof and demanding “Why won’t you answer my question,” etc. especially when the guest wobbles and waffles all over the place.

This morning instead of the BBC interview with a Palestinian that was promised... Pacman ate his way across my screen.

It was BBC’s Click. The next half hour was a trip down computer game memory lane from the first Space Invaders discovered at my housemate’s boss’s house sometime to yesterday’s half hour break with Bubble Burst and Crickler which have replaced myriad games through the last three decades. Games don’t get in the way of what I need to do, but they have brought me hours of pleasure over the years. We won’t discuss the night I played Cubis until the early morning and froze my shoulder in the process.

Most of the show can be seen at www.bbc.com/click plus there’s an interview with my hero, the founder of Craigslist who isn’t trying to just earn money but to do a service while earning enough to satisfy his needs, sort of a techie Ben and Jerry’s. Now that’s a novel concept in today’s money grubbing world.

I will try and catch Hardtalk at a later showing.


No comments: